LTC4414 36V, Low Loss PowerPath Controller for Large PFETs
The LTC4414 controls an external P-channel MOSFET to create a near ideal diode function for power switchover. This permits highly efficient OR’ing of multiple power sources for extended battery life and low self- heating. When conducting, the voltage drop across the MOSFET is typically 20mV. For applications with a wall adapter or other auxiliary power source, the load is automatically disconnected from the battery when the auxiliary source is connected. Two or more LTC4414s may be interconnected to allow switchover between multiple batteries or charging of multiple batteries from a single charger.
The wide supply operating range supports operation from one to eight Li-Ion cells in series. The low quiescent current (30µA typical) is independent of the load current. The gate driver includes an internal voltage clamp for MOSFET protection.
The STAT pin can be used to enable an auxiliary P-channel MOSFET power switch when an auxiliary supply is detected. This pin may also be used to indicate to a microcontroller that an auxiliary supply is connected. The control (CTL) input enables the user to force the primary MOSFET off and the STAT pin low.
The LTC4414 is available in a low profile 8-lead MSOP package.
- High Current Power Path Switch
- Industrial and Automotive Applications
- Uninterruptable Power Supplies
- Logic Controlled Power Switch
- Battery Backup Systems
- Emergency Systems with Battery Backups
Features and Benefits
- Designed Specifically to Drive Large QG PFETs
- Very Low Loss Replacement for Power Supply OR’ing Diodes
- 3.5V to 36V AC/DC Adapter Voltage Range
- Minimal External Components
- Automatic Switching Between DC Sources
- Low Quiescent Current: 30µA
- 3V to 36V Battery Voltage Range
- Limited Reverse Battery Protection
- MOSFET Gate Protection Clamp
- Manual Control Input
- Space Saving 8-Lead MSOP Package