MAX4896 Space-Saving, 8-Channel Relay/Load Driver
The MAX4896 8-channel relay and load driver is designed for medium voltage applications up to 50V. This device is offered in a 20-pin, 5mm x 5mm TQFN package, resulting in substantial board space savings.
The MAX4896 8-channel relay driver offers built-in inductive kickback protection, drive for latching/nonlatching or dual-coil relays, and open-load and short-circuit fault detection.The MAX4896 also protects against overcurrent conditions. Each independent open-drain output features a 3Ω (typ) on-resistance, and is guaranteed to sink 200mA of load current (VS ≥ 4.5V).
A built-in overvoltage protection clamp handles kick-back-voltage transients, which are common when driving inductive loads. Thermal-shutdown circuitry shuts off all outputs (OUT_) when the junction temperature exceeds +160°C. The MAX4896 employs a reset input that allows the user to turn off all outputs simultaneously with a single control line.
The MAX4896 includes a 10MHz SPI™-/QSPI™-/MICROWIRE™-compatible serial interface. The serial interface is compatible with TTL-/CMOS-logic voltage levels and operates with a single +2.7V to +5.5V supply. In addition, the SPI output data can be used for diagnostics purposes including open-load and short-circuit fault detection.
The MAX4896 is offered in the extended (-40°C to +85°C) and (-40°C to +125°C) operating temperature ranges.
- ATE Systems
- Industrial Equipment
- Power-Grid Monitoring and Protection Equipment
- White Goods
Features and Benefits
- Relay Driver Supports Medium Voltage Applications
- Up to 50V Continuous Drain-to-Source Voltage
- +2.7V to +5.5V Logic Supply Voltage
- Guaranteed Drive Current: VS ≥ 4.5V: 200mA (All Channels On)/410mA (Individual Channels) VS ≤ 3.6V: 100mA
- Integration and Small Packages Save Board Space
- 5mm x 5mm, 20-Pin TQFN Package
- Built-In Protection Circuitry Increases Safety
- Built-In Output Clamp Protects Against Inductive Kickback
- Open-Load and Short-Circuit Detection and Protection
- Thermal Shutdown
- Active-Low RESET Input Turns Off All Outputs Simultaneously
- Active-Low FLAG Output for µP Interrupt
- Built-in Power-On Reset
- Temperature Range (-40°C to +125°C)
- Serial Port Supports Most Microcontroller Architectures
- SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE-Compatible Serial Interface
- Serial Digital Output for Daisy-Chaining and Diagnostics
- Low Power Consumption Reduces Power Supply Requirements Saving System Cost
- Low 100µA (Max) Quiescent Supply Current